Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Handmade Flowers and more

Happy Wednesday!

Well I have some better news on the family front.  My Dad was doing so much better than yesterday.  He was much more alert and was even able to get up and walk a little by himself.  It is always so hard watching someone you love go through things.  This is a dramatic change let me tell you. If you would have seen him Monday you could definitely tell. He is on the mend and hopefully he will be able to go home soon :)  Whew!!

So I was able to actually work on a few things yesterday which felt great.  I have been going a mile a minute so it's nice to just sit back and relax.

I was checking out videos and came across how to make your own cute flower embelishments out of paper so decided to do some.  They are very simple and make a great accent to just about anything.

First you cut out your sizes and shapes you want to use.  I bought an old book at Value Village on my way home from the hospital to make some.  Then distress around the edges.

 Place the pieces into layers as shown next and connect with any type of brad.
 Next you start at the smallest layer and spray lightly with water and squish and scrunch it up, moving to the next layer and so on until you get to the bottom and it will look like this. 
 The starting from the outside in, start unfolding the layers.  This takes the most time as the thinner of paper you use, the more fragile the wet paper is so just take your time.  One you get it all unfolded, you end up with this cute little flower.  Let it dry completely and it turns out stiffer which is great for the embelishments.  You can add Glimmer Mist or anything else you want to give it a little more bling.  I just don't have any yet.  lol
 These are two flowers that I was trying out the heavier card stock so you can see the difference in dimensional views.
I also finished the "Thank You" card for the wedding venue.  I will be dropping it off this week along with the contract.


I also was very pleasantly surprised on Monday as I had forgotten that I had won another giveaway.  These are from Ashley over at Joyful Creations.  Aren't they just cute!!!   I love them!!  Thank you again Ashley :)

So I have a few other smaller projects that I'm hoping to get done this week so hopefully I'll be able to post them when I get them done.  I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Make it a great day and happy crafting :)

xo ~ Laura

5 comments:

Granny said...

Glad to hear that your father is doing better. The paper flowers are cute. Lots of possibilities there.

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

really cute ideas! Paper flowers are everywhere. I bought 4 books for $1 yesterday at Joey's booth. :)
hope your dad keeps improving rapidly! speedy recovery !!
gail

Vicki said...

Hiya Laura, thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave such lovely comment. I am so glad to read that your Dad is on the mend, I wish him a speedy recovery. Your paper flowers are wonderful and thank you for sharing them with us. Take care, happy crafting xx vicki xx

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

So glad to hear your Dad is feeling so much better. I love the look of the flowers. Did you use a punch or cut those all out by hand?
★Linda★

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks girls :) There are endless possibilities for these little flowers and they are so easy. I actually hand cut these. You take a square, say 4" x 4", fold over like a triangle, and fold it 2 more times the same way, then cut to the shape of an ice cream cone and barely cut the end off to make the hole :)