Thursday, July 8, 2010

Goodwill Shelf Makeover

Happy Thursday!!  I ended up doing a dog leash post a few days ago and wanted to do something for my hubby also to hang his reflector vest, hat, etc. items on that would match the leash holder and since I found this beauty at Goodwill a few weeks ago, guess what!!  Yup.... it is now the proud owner of my hubby!!

Here is a shot of it before.  There was one piece broken off of it on the mirror part but actually, I liked it so I didn't even attempt to fix it.  I just sanded down where the glue was, as they didn't give me that part, and painted over the top.  Sorry for the offset picture, was trying to get it laying on the table.  Opps ;)

I painted it black, actually by hand as it is 90 degrees outside and didn't feel like being out there.  I figured being in the A/C house was much better.  lol  So after that I also put some crackle finish on it to give it a weathered look, and then sanded the edges to distress and here it is!!



This picture doesn't show the crackle or distressed look and I see I need to clean the mirrors.  lol  Oh well.    Lovin it!!

Have a wonderful day and happy junkin/crafting!!

xo ~ Laura

17 comments:

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love it!! You did a fabulous job! And it matches so nicely!!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Haley! Yes he loved it when he saw it when he got home from work. That is a big room that I'm re-doing so have a lot to work with. Ideas are running rampid. lol

Jackie the Junk Junkie said...

Great job!! Ever tried the Elmer's Glue Crack trick?? I stole it from 'Make the best of things' and it works fantastic. . .cheap too!!
http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.com/2010/05/crackle-finish-with-elmers-glue.html

Angela said...

I am unable to see the finish product..grrr..blogger is not nice right now.

Angela said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,,,it showed up now,,LOL..Loving it...

I should share my project that I finished last weekend....It's been a work in progress for months,,and I mean months,,and it took me a total of maybe half hour to finish..the work in progress was me getting it started, LOL

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Jackie, no I haven't tried that. I'll have to try it! Love new ideas :) I'll check it out.

Angela, yes the blogs are being goofy right now. Glad you got to see it and YES girl, show off your projects you've been working on :) I'd love to see them!

Granny said...

That looks great and goes so well with the leash hanger. I don't blame you for working inside. I havne't been out except for a couple of minutes today.

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Granny!! Yes it is a hot one out here, especially for the PNW area. It's showing 98.3 on my thermometer this afternon at 3:30. Thank goodness I have A/C in the house. lol

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great makeover! I like the look of the two pieces together.
Also, I wanted to let you know that you will be featured tomorrow in my weekly "Featured Followers Friday" post.
gail

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Gail ~ thank you for your comment. I like them together also. And what a privledge to be featured in your "Featured Followers Friday". You just made my evening. Thanks Sweetie!

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love it! It makes such a difference and it looks as if the two pieces were meant to be together!
★Linda★

Kirsty Girl said...

Oo wow I love this find! It's so pretty! Nice work!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Linda :) That was what I was hoping for and now you've confirmed it. Hugs!! ~ Laura

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Kirsty :) I was pretty happy when I saw it. I didn't even think twice about it. lol

Star @ A Load Of Craft said...

Great blog! Thanks for the sweet comment on my zipper pillow! Sorry it took almost a week to get over here! But I'm your newest follower and you've inspired me to make a trip to the thrift store today with all your great finds, thanks!!

Unknown said...

Hi Nana~ Love the shelf anything black really! the star hook plaque sure is cute too. Hope you have a great weekend. Jenn

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Star ~ thanks! I'm excited to have you as a new follower and love following along with you and what all you're up to :) Have a great day!

Sahm ~ Thanks! Have a wonderful day and I hope you enjoyed your visit to my page. Hope to see you more in the future :)