Friday, October 29, 2010

Christmas in October???

Happy Saturday!!

I know, you are probably thinking why on earth are you working on Christmas items now as it is still October right?  lol  Well since Carissa moved out in May, they don't have any Christmas decorations so I figured I would start making them some special decorations for their own place.  You know me, I love to make all sorts of things :)

I had bought this wreath, flowers and doves at the Dollar Store so this only cost me $3 as I had everything else.

As many of you know from all the wedding posts, Carissa and Brandon are avid outdoors people.  In fact, they have spent the past 2 weekends buck hunting.  This is Carissa's first time out and even though they haven't gotten anything, she has had a great time.  So with that in mind, I had to throw some outdoors into this wreath.  I had these wooden Moose cutouts for awhile so I painted it up, put a gem as the eye and now it's a part of their Christmas!

The doves on it are very special to Carissa and myself.  Many many moons ago, I received a pair of doves that were from the movie Home Alone.  Every year it is a tradition, from when she was 2 years old, to help me hang those doves on our tree.  Last Christmas I was on a mission to find her a set of her own so that she could start her own traditions with her kids when she has them so online I went and believe it or not, I found some!!  She opened it and started just bawling and no one could figure out why but I knew.  Those are the very special moments that I treasure the most.  Something that means so much to the ones I love. 

Have a wonderful day and happy crafting!!

xo ~ Laura

5 comments:

Granny said...

Now is the perfect time to work on Christmas decorations. Next month will be busy with Thanksgiving and then it will be time to put those decorations up. The wreath is perfect. I don't like the boughten wreaths that you see everywhere. The personalized are much better. That's a sweet story of the doves.

Connie said...

You have my permission to get busy making Christmas things. I have been since August, but then again I pretty much have to.

Love the story about the doves too. I am sure your daughter will have the fondest memories for years to come about those doves.

Linda ★ Parker's General said...

I love your memory! Thanks for sharing it!
I do prefer to make my own, too. They just 'feel' more homey, don't they?
★Linda★

Proper Prim said...

Laura, don't feel bad I have all my Christmas shopping done and wrapped already... so I think it is a perfect time to do them. Love the wreath... so sweet.

What a wonderful story you share with your daughter... those are the precious things in life that she will never forget and you just can't put a price tag on that.

Hope you are having a great weekend... thinking about you my dear friend... hope all is well.

Hugs, Deb

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Lovin' it! Can't wait to get out Christmas decor!