Monday, July 19, 2010

Trying new things

Happy Tuesday!!  Well I've been such a busy girl I haven't been able to focus too much on any major projects but like to try to at least do a few little projects around the house each day.  It's a nice break from heavy thinking :)  I spent about 6 hours Sunday going through my old business (skincare) inventory and organizing it and getting it ready to just sell and gain more space around the house. Oh trust me you don't want to see my craft room right now as I can't even walk in it :(   Although I still have much more to do, it does feel great to get things all organized and ready to know what is where and of course have more room for my crafts.  It's funny how you always seem to accumulate more things than you realize at times huh.

Anyhoo, here are a few items that I did get finished.  First off, this little plate, although yes I know this holiday has passed, I finally got my vinyl on it.  I hadn't planned on the wording yet but then I started looking at how I placed the word "Forever" and it ended up being great!  See if you can tell what I mean ;)  I really played with the lining of the words to give it more of a whimsy look :)

Then I had these little balls that I actually found at the Dollar Store that had 2 different sizes available.  Smaller and medium.  Sooooooo I grabbed one of each.  They started out like this....

And turned into this!!  I left the medium one neutral right now but knowing me, I'll spray paint that little puppy at some point also.  lol.  I made this little flower and thought it fit in well with the colors.  I even went and pruned a few branches from my maple tree to use.  All in all very cheap project as I already had the glass vase, the material for the flower, the branches were free so the only thing that cost me money was for the little balls.  Not too bad. 



Then if you think back, if you've been following me, when I scored all my "FREE" windows and screens, I had decided to put one up in my laundry room.  I have been pondering what all to do with it, but I came up with this little idea that ended up kinda cute!!  I think I just may leave it like this for awhile.  It's a fun board as I wanted to be able to change things out as I felt inclined to do so.  lol  I have never attempted putting vinyl on foam paper but guess what!!  It's great!!  Yes I happened to find the foam pieces at the Dollar store also.  Total spent there, $3 and I have a couple of projects from it.  Not bad huh!!  Oh and of course I can't forget my first attempt at my fabric flower that I saw on Nancy's blog over at Its My Story and I'm Sticking To It.  I added more layers so it looks different than her's but same concept :)


Now this last thing I need some help on.  My oldest daughter got it for me and it was free and looked like this.  I wanted to spray it but still leave that older look to it so gave it a coat of the red, which of course soaked in very well.  Now here is where I need some ideas.  Not sure at all what to do with this.  Any suggestions besides maybe putting flowers in it?  I was thinking maybe a floating smaller frame???? Hmmmm this one has me stumped.  All suggestions and comments are ALWAYS welcome here on my site :)

Well that's it for now.  I've got a busy day ahead.  A 3 hour meeting which will be boring, then come home to let the dogs out for a few and then I'm heading down to Portland which will take me about 3 hours from here and yes, I'm coming back the same evening.  Oh well, such is life right :)

Have a great day!!

xo ~ Laura

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Laura~ you have some real fun stuff here, love the fabric flower.. it is darling. Thanks for linking up too. Have a great night. Jenn

Granny said...

You have been one busy lady. I love seeing everything you make. For the little heart thingie I'd probably leave it like it is. It's pretty enough to hang without anything added.

I love the little square plate. The wording looks great.

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Jenn :) Welcome!!

Granny ~ thanks and yes, I've been keeping very busy that's for sure. Thanks for the tip on the heart. It had me baffled. lol

Elizabeth said...

Love the plate! It's just beautiful - who cards if the holiday has come and gone - now you're all set for next year!

Nana's Fun Stuff said...

Thanks Elizabeth and very true :) One less thing for me to worry about for February now :D

Granny said...

That little plate is cute enough to keep out all the time. It goes well with your red decor.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

Hi laura!

Well, I would say you have been a busy little bee! I got those same little round balls from the dollar store. they are on my list of "do overs" to do soon.

Everything looks great. I hope you are having a fantastic week!

annies home said...

Laura= You have been very busy. I love how the plate turned out for you the red against that white looks very stylish.

Kara @ Mine for the Making said...

Love the wicker balls from the dollar store!!! Great idea to spray paint them!

Visiting from Tatertots and Jello :)

Kara @ MinefortheMaking.com